Skip to main content

Photography in my artisitc aproach. FROM PAINTING TO LIFE


The key in my work is the wish to shape that moment of real elements, usable objects. I want to remind everyone that their bedroom from home, the notes on the refrigerator or the wine stains on the carpet are all “art” and more than that, gathered together, reflect our privacy, a mirror of our thoughts. How else can you better represent “a moment of life”?

Journey at Constanta, 2017

As a painter, I started to consider photography as a medium to express myself when I was exploring the idea that "art is life itself". This idea would soon become my calling. 

I did my first photography project, ÉTANT DONNÉS – STEALING LIFE FROM TODAY in 2015. There is a lot to say about it, so I will reserve a separate blogpost about it in the future.




Focus on the setting

Since then, a huge interest was allocated on making costumes and objects – quite an ambitious setting for the future shootings. Elements that otherwise I was used to paint with – were reshaped now into 3D; most of the new objects are being painted as well. I was using them to define an imaginary world: my interpretation of life on the Ogygia island, the place where in Mythology, Ulysses met Calypso and spent seven years with her.



                        Here are some pictures                      taken while I was working                   on the first costume.







I embarked on a journey to add layers of complexity to myself, taking photos and short videos with different costumes, until it shaped up into an alter ego. This hasn't yet become a project on it's own, but rather a component of  the 3D HOTEL iterative project. 

From left to the right: picture with the character in her natural ambient (Ogygia Island), picture with the character in the hotel room, the installationFrozen with liquidfrom 3D HOTEL exhibition, Regensburg, 2017

3D HOTEL vs MY ALTER EGO

Instead of admiring art from a safe distance, with 3D HOTEL visitors can immerse themselves in the artwork and experience it with all their senses. A hotel room, with pieces of furniture on which art objects are placed, is the best host for my project. Each time it is exposed, it takes another form, according to the new space. The visitors are invited to investigate the ‘crime scene’, flip through files with evidence, and try to understand who the main character was, and what happened to her. All around, they can see pieces of evidence of the clothes she wore and the prints that she left in the room. The glass that she drank from, the book next to her bed, the dress that she wore, covered with cement. Even the ceiling carries her personality, and it seems like in her short stay at the hotel, the impersonal room transformed, and became a mirrored image of the investigated character. The room contains incomplete pieces of evidence.

Below is a brief history of my 3D HOTEL iterative project.






It might seem like all the photoshoots done so far with my alter ego and the works from 3D HOTEL belong to the same project, but they do not. Much like in Constantin Brancusi's work of mobile groups, all my projects are linked, and part of a flexible network that constitutes my artistic world. The element-projects from a group can be anytime regrouped in a different formula and still make sense. In other words, my artistic process could be explained like an infinite spiral, never ending but continuously growing.





                                                      Alter Ego photos, 2016


   

Alter Ego photos, Brighton, Cold Cases workshop, 2018


Alter Ego photos, 2018



                                                                                        Alter Ego video, 2018


An amazing experience. My first participation to a photo show

In 2018, I've participated in the COLD CASES workshop organized by Natasha Caruana. She invited Juno Calypso to tell us about her artistic process, research and other tips. To get advice from this two brilliant fine art photographers, added a new layer to my understanding of this fascinating domain in which I gradually started to get involved more and more. Both Juno and Natasha curated the Cold Cases exhibition at the Old Police Cells Museum in Brighton. We imagined new solutions for unsolved crimes. I made a couple of artworks, keeping my alter ego in mind, forever present in my art photography since I created it.







Cold Cases was an exhibition with 19 other artists from Europe, South America and Australia. The complexity of the project lies in the theme proposed, the variety of interpretations and the amazing exhibition space. We reinterpreted three famous Brighton crimes found within the Old Police Cells Museum collection: The Trunk Murders, the Chocolate Creme Killer and the Grand Hotel Bombing. 


As our show was part of the Biennale of Photography in Brighton 2018, Natasha Caruana was invited to give a speech about Cold Cases at the Phoenix art center in Brighton. Natasha spoke about the representation of women today, a contested sight across film, advertising imagery, and fashion campaigns, where women’s stories are too often portrayed as singular and passive, their bodies brutalized inside the frame. (Read more here: https://www.work-show-grow.com/events/). 


     Presentation of the Grand Hotel Bombing Crime.
     Picture taken at the Old Police Cells Museum.



 
     Sketch of Maggie, "solving the Grand Hotel Bombing crime", 2018.

My approach to the three crimes was to portray the woman as the killer and not the victim. I created this project based on the hypothesis that all three crimes had a common point. I used the fictional character present in almost all my photography projects, to create a new form of reality. What if the woman who had been cut into pieces to fit into a trunk wouldn’t have died? Was Margaret Thatcher’s fear during her stay at the Grand Hotel in Brighton only triggered by the bomb? Her diary from that period investigated by a doctor might have contributed to a diagnosis of severe paranoia and delirium. She was wondering if there, in that city, the sea was awakened to life. After all the years in which the case was abandoned, that old trunk is covered by unprecedented vegetation. Nor did the poisoned object belonging to Christiana's mother remain unchanged. It may seem that time has covered all these crimes, but is it so? For this last crime I have created  a photography of a domestic object (Christiana’s mom teeth) placed between poison bottles. Popularly known as “The Chocolate Creme Killer”, she was killing people in the handiest way for a woman in those times: by poisoning. Once she got the taste for killing, her home become a laboratory. I have chosen to focus on the beginning of her story, when she was living with her old sick mother that she had to take care of. Could her mother have accidentally gotten poisoned as well, living in a small flat surrounded by poison bottles?


Maggie, colour photograph, dimensions variable, 2018



Contemporary news report. Image from the Old Police Cells Museum.

Poison 11, colour photograph, dimensions variable, 2018


The bedroom of 47 Kemp Street, Brighton, where Violet Kaye was found 
murdered by Tony Mancini, 1934. The trunk which contained her remains 
is pictured.
 
Picture with the remains of Violet Key in the trunk.

Miss Samuelson crime scene picture.

Out of the trunk, colour photograph, dimensions variable, 2018



After the experience with Cold Cases, the development of my alter ego drove me to different short projects. One of them is an action work called From Painting to Life and the most recently finished one is a painting called Ogygia.

From Painting to Life is how I visually explained the connection between 3D Hotel and this very special and intimate work that portray my alter ego. From time to time I love taking some steps back and going to the original thoughts and notes. Then, I come back more detached, able to create something that reveals my intentions very clearly. I have started talking about the ”life” element that photography helped me bring into the artistic process of a painter. An action work pointed this out even more. If a photography can be defined as an instantaneous moment of life, like a millisecond caught for eternity, a performative work is something that no camera can evoke. Only by being present in that specific moment, by seeing the movements with your eyes and by hearing the whispers, the breathing and the steps of the artist with your own ears, you can fully immerse yourself in the art piece. This is the path that I have walked on to reach for also becoming a performer, debuting with the work From Painting to Life, at Chaosmos, in Athens, April 2019. 



    Preparing the setting fot the From Painting to Life performance, Chaosomos, Athens, 2019. 
     People saw the performance from the rooftop, through the window and door.


From Painting to Life, performance, Chaosmos, Athens, 2019


During this action work, I give people a peak into the world of a painter. My art brings together colour (the traditional element of painting) and time (representative for other media such as video, that are not conventionally characteristic for painting). The concept is a so called "performance" where you can experience a painter in a show-window "on a stage", in a created context: an image that reveals an environment from the artist's intimacy. This allows the viewer to enter for a few minutes in the mind of a creator, and implicitly in the middle of an artwork.

Later, in 2019, I have finished the Ogygia painting, that I have started to work on a year before. This painting "has waited" on my studio’s wall and ceiling while I prepared the 3D HOTEL London exhibition, recorded the sound for my first performance and worked on many other projects. It’s been like ”painting” waited for me to come back to her. I always enjoy coming back to painting. It reminds me who I am!


                                 

In other words, if my artistic process would have been a circle, this circle, starting from the Ogygia island, would have ended with this huge painting, that was a burden on my shoulders (in a very good way), being hosted in my studio all this time. But as I have said already, it is a spiral, not a circle, so it doesn’t end here. It doesn’t end at all. It always gets a new shape, but it is never done. 

So, let’s go back to photography in my artistic process, because there are some more projects that I’ve done in this direction since the ÉTANT DONNÉS – STEALING LIFE FROM TODAY from 2015, that I would like to tell you about.

Constellation on the Skin, 2016-2018

Constellation on the Skin is one of them. It was born from a thought that once passed through my mind. I was in a bathtub full of water, washing my hair. With my mind empty, I was looking at the many beauty spots on my chest. I saw an entire universe with tiny stars shining. It was 2016. After shooting those fragments of my skin, they soon became an installation with 19 pieces of 113 x 42 cm each. 

I worked then to find a way of preserving this "constellation" moment from the bathtub untouched by the passing of time. As a metaphor, I placed each photography between the two layers of a Thermopane window. Since then, 16 skin constellations have become imortal. Over the glass surface, are drawn imaginary constellations as some "vectors" of transition: broken lines connecting  two points.





The three pieces on the left play a very important role for the entire installation. They are traditional linen canvases – collage and painting. The feathers can be touched and the painting does have a particulare smell. Neither touch or smell can be kept frozen in a piece of glass. Only the photographs are under glass, because they are the only ones that can be kept frozen. 



Before this, at the beginning of 2016, while I was in Mulhouse with a scholarship, I worked on two distinct projects, Sidonie and A Wall. Introspection, walking on the streets and analyzing the self was what I did then for both projects.  I realize now, that this experience crystalized into the foundation of my alter ego.

IELE, iterative project

Sometimes I love creating mixed media artworks and combining various artistic mediums. A good example for this is the iterative project IELE, which had two different shapes so far, both containing the series of photography Caught in the mirage of remembering. It is a series of five selfportraits wearing my mother's wedding dress. 

In the first place, the five lightboxes were displayed in a circle, on the walls of a round room. The space between them was consistent, giving the viewer the idea of an infinite circle, of immersivity, of unpalpable, of shadows. One year later, I created the opposite sensation, by displaying the same lightboxes in a very tight circle. I called this last piece

Memory Sequences – Flashbacks from the heart of the forest. It is an interactive installation which has just enough space for one person to step inside. On one hand, there is no space for reflection, for thinking, and on the other hand, it is an individual experience thanks to which you face the portraits of the "Iele" up close. The "Iele" are Romanian mythological characters that make groups of 3, 5 or 9. These young beautiful nimphs dance in circles in the forests. It is said that in the night of 23rd of June, they seduce men and then hurt them.


 IELE 2:

IELE:





Once you get the taste, you never leave it behind

To get to a conclusion, since I felt the taste of photography, I never stopped introducing it into my art installations in very different ways. I just adore to put myself in different situations, and to experience each through my own spectrum and reflections.


Comments